Saturday, August 16, 2008

On Turning 50


I turned 50 years old on July 6th. There, I've said it! Crazy as it may seem (to me, at least!), I am now 50 years old. As a teenager, 50 sounded so old. I suppose it still does....SOUND old, that is...I surely don't FEEL old.


Well, maybe there are times that I feel old. Like when I get out of bed in the morning and have to stretch my legs and lower back so they will loosen up and (hopefully!) work as they should. Or, when I turn on the car and quickly flip off the "blaring noise" coming from the radio station one of my teenagers was listening to. Or, when I pointed out "Nadia Comaneci" and "Marylou Retton" while watching the Olympics last night and was met with a chorus of "who are they?"


Do the youth of today really not recognize those names? How about "Jim Croce", "Linda Rondstat" and "Carole King"? "The Allman Brothers", "Bay City Rollers" "England Dan and John Ford Coley"? "Captain and Tenille" and "Neil Sedaka"? Am I really dating myself here???


I suppose I am getting older and that's OK! With age comes freedom. Freedom from peer pressure. Freedom to think and act for myself. Freedom to love most and tolerate a few. Freedom not to tolerate at all. Freedom to be truly happy and content. Freedom to be who I really am...a child of the 70's who sat mezmerized by the performances of Nadia Comaneci and Marylou Retton and remembers with great fondness the music of so many talented performers.


Bailey loved helping Grandma blow out her candles!!


No comments:

The Grandkids...